Breakfast is an important meal of the day – whether it’s cereal, toast, eggs or something else. Mornings when I’m in a rush I hardly remember to grab a granola bar and I find myself eating my other snacks during my morning coffee.
I decided to make these Bran Muffins for something different in my morning routine, especially as the mornings are still cold and I need the extra time to warm up the car!
Ingredients you will need:
- 3 c. Bran cereal (I used Raisin Bran)
- 1 c. boiling water
- 1/2 c. oil
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 1/2 c. flour
- 2 c. buttermilk*
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- Pour boiling water over 1 cup bran cereal. Let stand.
- Mix 2 cups remaining bran cereal, sugar, eggs, buttermilk, and oil together.
- Sift flour, baking soda & salt.
- Combine all mixtures and stir.
- Add dates, nuts and raisins (if desired).
- Mix together desired amount cinnamon & sugar.
- Place muffin mix in pans and sprinkle cinnamon & sugar on top before baking.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
* I actually substituted the buttermilk for 1 cup milk + 1 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar per 1 cup buttermilk called for in recipe.